Learn how to deal with dog poisoning such as how to induce vomiting and how to use herbal remedies for after care.
Dogs are basically scavengers, and they like "sampling" different foods, some may be poisonous to them! As dog parents, it is quite possible that you have to deal with poisoning in your dog. So it makes sense to be prepared!
Before you can give any first aid treatment for dog poisoning, you need to determine what your dog has ingested.
Try to look for evidence (for example, an open container of pesticide, a pool of antifreeze, etc.).
Then call your veterinarian or a poison control center immediately.
Be prepared to answer the following questions:
Follow the instructions of the veterinarian or the poison control center. Depending on the poison ingested, the vet may instruct you to induce vomiting, so always keep some activated charcoal, 3% hydrogen peroxide, syrup of Ipecac, and vegetable oil on hand.
Watch this video for an overview of when and how to induce vomiting in pets:
Instead of inducing vomiting in the above situations, get the dog to a veterinary facility for treatment immediately.
So how can you tell if your dog has ingested something poisonous? Depending on the substance, the signs varied.
However, the most common symptoms may include:
You may say there are many things that will make a dog drool, vomit, be lethargic or have convulsions.
It's true, but if your dog is healthy, and does not have central nervous system problems resulting from trauma, high fever or distemper, etc., the above symptoms point to the fact that your dog is very likely showing signs of poisoning.
Go to this page to read more about some common substances that can cause dog poisoning, and the specific signs of poisoning for each substance.
Even if your dog is lucky enough to have survived the ordeal of poisoning, it is highly likely that some major organs have been damaged and various metabolic processes have been disrupted.
The most likely organ that will suffer damage from poisoning is the liver and possibly, to some extent, the kidneys.
The liver is the major organ responsible for the breakdown of toxins. It follows that an overload of toxins can cause severe damage to the liver. In fact, some pets die not from the initial poisoning, but from a breakdown of function of this vital organ.
One of the ways the liver helps to rid the body of toxins is to chemically alter them so that they are more water-soluble for excretion by the kidneys (and to some extent the skin).
But sometimes, these breakdown products, or metabolites, will sequentially attack the central nervous system and damage the kidneys.
It is important, therefore, that "repair work" be done to the liver and the kidneys after the ordeal of dog poisoning.
Herbs are very effective in repairing these major organs and in building up the immune system. Here are some useful herbs that you can use:
This herbal formula contains herbs such as burdock, red clover, slippery elm and is an excellent herbal remedy to cleanse the blood, organs, and muscles of toxic substances.Milk Thistle for Dog Liver Disease
This milk thistle herbal tincture is glycerine-based (not alcohol based) so it is safe and easy to administer to dogs. It can be used to strengthen and support liver functions in dogs.