Golden Retriever Mason's Fight with Lymphoma
My beautiful, not quite 4 year old, Golden Retriever Mason was diagnosed with Lymphoma on Memorial Day Weekend 2011.
It's now only June 27th so we've only been in this thing for 4 weeks. The sad part is how fast this cancer is moving. I feel as if I'm racing the clock.
After the diagnosis I did tons of reading, online research and talking to others who had dogs with cancer. Anyone who I talked to who went the chemotherapy route were sorry they did. They ended up losing their beloved pet and felt that precious time was spent taking their pet for painful and unpleasant trips to the vet.
Additionally the only possible result was a non guaranteed remission and potentially thousands of $$ spent.
I decided on homeopathic treatment. I tried researching and was overwhelmed by the possiblities out there. How much of a dose, how does it interact with other meds? Finally I found a link for Homeopathic vets that would do online consultations. This would allow me to keep Mason at home (no travel and no vets office). THe first phone consult was scheduled for Monday, June 13th.
Unfortunatly before my first conference call his lymph nodes or something caused him to stop eating, I panicked and took him to an emergency veterinarian (of course it was a Sunday). He gave Mason a prednisone shot and some pills to taper off of over the course of 3 weeks.
The following day I talked to the Homeopathic vet, who did not like him getting the shot nor remaining on the Prednisone. I felt sick because the shot immediately allowed Mason to feel better. I knew/know it was only a mask and not a cure but you are so happy when they feel good.
Anyway I promised to taper him off by the end of the week. I was told to only give Mason homemade Only Organic foods. 50%/50% meat/veg mix. She prescribed Mason several remedies for his immune system, vitamins, probiotics, etc.
He did great for the following week. I saw signs of improvement. Was it the prednisone or the homeopathy? About 5 days after I stopped he prednisone I notice his glands are swelling again. I panicked and called his vet as I didn't want to go into the weekend with him not eating and me worring. She tells me that it is expected that his nodes would swell once the prednisone wears off and prescribes some homeopathic pain managaement remedies. He did not eat today (Monday) but he does not breathe or behave like he is in pain.
I have such high hopes that this treatment will save my special Mason boy. We love him so much. I fall apart when he's not well and ride a high when he has his moments where he wants to chase his ball down the hall.
Anyone who has been through this I would love to hear your story. Short or long, good or bad. It helps to make decisions.