Natural Dog Asthma Remedies
Natural dog asthma remedies are effective and safe for our four-legged friends who have asthma! This page looks at how to use natural remedies such as herbs and homeopathy to alleviate asthma symptoms (e.g. coughing and sore throat) and to strengthen the dog's immune system.
Asthma is in effect an allergic reaction to some airborne irritants and allergens, such as pollens, house dust, cigarette smoke, etc. The typical symptoms of canine asthma are coughing and wheezing.
Conventional treatment for asthma in dogs is using drugs such as steroids, bronchodilators and antihistamines to suppress the symptoms.
Since long-term use of medications such as steroids is not good for our dog's health, this page introduces some alternative natural dog asthma remedies - such as the use of herbs and homeopathic remedies to ease the asthma symptoms and strengthen the dog's immune system.
Asthma and Humidity
Remember that humidity is important for dogs with asthma, since moisture can help clear mucous out of the dog's airway, thus lessening asthma symptoms. If your dog has asthma, use a cold-mist humidifier if necessary to make sure that the air is not too dry.
Herbal Remedies for Asthma in Dogs
There are a lot of good herbs that can be used to strengthen your dog's immune system. As well, there are herbs that provide relief to asthma symptoms such as coughing.
These herbs are safer to use than drugs such as steroids, so as an alternative, why not try them out?
Herbs that can Relieve Coughing
- Mullein: Mullein is effective in relieving deep, dry coughs. It suppresses coughs and is also a lung tonic.
- Licorice root: Licorice is effective for suppressing coughs that are located in the upper respiratory areas.
Herbs that can Soothe the Throat
- Marshmallow root: Marshmallow root is effective in soothing all mucuous membranes, and it can ease a dry cough.
- Coltsfoot: Coltsfoot is ideal for easing a wet cough as it can eliminate mucus from the bronchi. It also inhibits bacterial growth and stimulates respiratory function.
Herbs that can Enhance the Immune System
- Echinacea: Echinacea is one of the most effective herbs in enhancing the immune system.
- Oregon grape: Oregon grape is antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and immune-stimulating. Use it in combination with echinacea for synergistic strength.
- Astragalus: Astragalus is also good for enhancing the immune system. It also helps strengthen the lungs and stimulates the regeneration of bronchial cells.
Herbal Products for Dogs with Asthma
This herbal tincture contains useful herbs for dog ashtma such as mullein, marshmallow, licorice, etc. It is easy to administer and effective.
This herbal formula is effective in strengthening the immune system. It contains such immune-boosting herbs as astragalus and green tea, as well as numerous vitamins.
Homeopathic Dog Asthma Remedies
Homeopathic remedies are effective in treating dog asthma and they usually work rather fast to relieve symptoms of asthma.
If your dog is showing mild symptoms of asthma, and you want to help relieve his cough and shortness of breath, you may want to try this:
A Homeopathic Formula for Asthma in Dogs
Obviously, for more serious symptoms, it is always advisable to seek veterinary assistance. If you opt for natural alternative treatment, consult a holistic vet.
Nutritional Supplements for Dog Asthma
These supplements are beneficial to the lungs in general:
- Vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant, vitamin C (sodium ascorbate) can boost the immune system. Depending on the dog's size, dosage can be from 125 mg to 1000 mg twice a day. If your dog starts having diarrhea, reduce the dosage until diarrhea stops.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is another antioxidant that is good for the immune system. Dosage can be from 50 IU to 800 IU daily, depending on the size of the dog.
- Cod Liver Oil: It is a good source of vitamin A (antioxidant) and essential fatty acids (anti-inflammatory). Give 1/2 teaspoon daily for small dogs, 1 teaspoon for medium dogs, and 2 teaspoons for large dogs.
- Do you know the common symptoms and causes of canine asthma? Visit this page to find out more.
- Did you know that dogs that are obese are more prone to asthma? Is your dog overweight? Read more about the potential health problems that
obese dogs have.
- One common symptom of asthma in dogs is wheezing. Read more about other possible canine illnesses that can cause wheezing in dogs.